Skip to main content

David and Goliath (1 Kgs. 16-17)

Now, the armies of the Philistines and of Israel were in the valley of Terebinth. The Philistines stood on one side and the Israelites on the other side.

Then there went out a man from the Philistines named Goliath who was nine feet tall. He wore a helmet of brass, clothed with a coat of mail. The staf of his spear was like a weaver's beam. Goliath shouted, "Choose a man among you and let him come down and fight me; if he kills me we will be your servants; but if I kill him, you shall be our servants." King Saul and the Israelites were greatly afraid.

Nod David, son of Isai, was tending his sheep because he was too young to be a soldier. His three older brothers were in  the army of Saul. David was sent by his father to give some food to his brother soldiers. When he reached the camp of the Israelite army, he heard Goliath hurling his challenge of single combat. He said to Saul, "I, your servant, will fight the Philistine."

Saul said, "you cannot beat him for you aare but a boy and he is an old warrior."

David said,"Your servant kept his father's sheep. One day there came a lion and a bear and each took a ram. I pursued after them; they rose against me but I caught them by the throat and killed them."

Saul said, "Go, and God be with you." Saul gave his coat-of-mai, helmet and sword. David said he was not used to them. So he took his staff, choose five smooth stones and put them in his shepherd's wallet. Taking a sling in his hand he went forth against the Philistine.

When the Philistine looked at David, he despised him. He said, "Am I a dog that you come with a staff? Come to me and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the land."

David  answered, "You come to me with a sword, spear and shield; but I come in the name of the Lord, and I will slay you."

Then they fought. David got a stone from his wallet and cast it with a sling, and fetching it about, struck the Philistine in the forehead. Goliath fell on his face upon the earth. As David had no sword, he stood over the Philistined, took his sword and slew him, cutting his head.

The Philistines, seeing their champion dead, fled away. The Israelites army pursued them killing many of them.

Saul asked David, "Young man, of what family are you?"

David answered, "I am the son of your servant Isai, the Bethlehemite.

Then the women sang and danced celebrating the victory. They said, "saul slew thousands, and David his ten thousands."
Saul was angry. He did not look at David with a good eye from that day on.


Comments