Skip to main content

Elija Taken to heaven (4 Kgs. 2)


When Elijah and Elisha were going to Galgal, Elijah said, "Stay here because the Lord has sent me as far as Bethel."

Elisha said to him, "As the Lord lives and as your soul lives, I will not leave you." When they arrived at Bethel, the sons of the prophet in Bethel came to Elisha.

They said to him, "Do you know that this day the Lord will take away your master from you?"

He answered, I also know it. Hold your peace."

Elijah said to Elisha,"Stay here because the Lord has sent me to Jericho."

He said to him, Stay here because the Lord has sent me as far as the Jordan."

He answered, "As the Lord lives, I will not leave you." They continued their journey together, and fifty men of the sons of the prophets followed them, and stood in sight at a distance; but the two stood by the Jordan. Elijah took his mantle and folded it together, and struck the waters and they were divided hither and thither, and they both passed on the dry ground.

When they were gone, Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask what you will have me to do for you."

Elisha said, "I beseech you that in me may be your double spirit."

He answered, "You have asked a hard thing. However if you seemed when I am taken from you, you shall have what you have asked; but if you see me not, you shall not have it."

As they went on waling and talking together, behold, a fiery chariot  and fiery horses parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. Elisha saw him and cried, "My father, the chariot of Israel." He saw him no more. Then he tore his garments and put on the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and going back he stood on the bank of Jordan. He struck the waters with the mantle of Elijah but the waters were divided.

He said, "Where is now the God of Elijah?" Then he struck the waters and they divided, and , and Elisha passed over.

The sons of the prophets who saw it said, "The spirit of Elijah  has rested upon Elisha." Coming to meet  him, they worshiped him, falling to the ground














Comments