Skip to main content

Esther Before the King (Es. 5-10)


On the third day of the fast Esther put on the royal clothes, and stood in the inner court of the king's house. The king sat on his throne and saw Esther who pleased his eyes. He held the scepter toward her and said, "What will you, Queen Esther? Even if you ask half of my kingdom it shall  be given to you."

Esther answered, "If it pleased the King, I beseech you to come to me this day, and Aman with you to the banquet which I have prepared."

The King said, "Call Aman quickly that  that he may obey Esther's will" So the King and Aman came to the banquet of the queen.

After drinking plentifully, the King asked Esther, "What do you desire, my Queen?"

Esther answered, "My petition is this: Let the King and Aman come to my banquet tomorrow; then I will open my mind to the King."So Aman went out happy. But when he saw Mordechai not honoring him, he was very angry. Although all the honors were his, it were as if it was nothing so long as Mordechai sits at the palace gate. Zaros, his wife, told him to order a great beam fifty cubits high and then ask the King to hang Mordechai on  it in the morning. He did.

That night the king could not sleep and he commanded the chroniclers to read the events in the palace. When they were reading how Mordechai had discovered treason he said, "What honor and reward has Mordechai received for his fidelity?"

The king said, "Who is in the court?" For Aman was there to ask the king to order the hanging of Mordechai. He said to Aman, "What ought to be done to the man whom the king is desirous to honor?"

Aman, thinking that the king was about to honor him said,"The man ought to be clothed with the king's apparel, and to be sat on the king's horse and to have the royal crown on his head."

The King said to him, "Make haste and take the robe and the horse and do as you have spoken to Mordechai the Jew who sits at the gate of the palace." He did.

Then Aman went to the banquet of the queen where the King asked the queen, "What  is your petition, Esther, that it may be granted you?"

Esther answered, "O King, give me my life, and my people. For I and my people will be slain in the month of Adar."

The King said, "Who should do these things?"

Esther answered, "It is this man, Aman."

The King stood and looked into his garden, then returned; he was very angry. Harbona, one of the eunuchs, said, "Behold the gibbet which has been prepared for Mordechai."

The King said to him, "Hang him upon it."  So Aman was hanged on the gibbet he had prepared for Mordechai. Assuerus gave the honor of Aman to Queen Esther, and gave the office of Aman to Mordechai. The King revoked the decree for the death of the Jews.

Esther saved her people.

Comments