Skip to main content

Gideon (Judg. 8)


Because the people of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they fell under the Medianities and suffered musch. Then they cried to the Lord.

So an angel of the Lord came to Gideon who was threshing wheat, and said, "The Lord is with you, mighty man of valor."

Gideon answered, "O! my Lord. If the Lord is with us, why then  are we persecuted by the Medianites?"

The Lord said, "Go, and I shall save Israel from the Medianites."

Gideon answered, "How can I? My family is poor and I am the least in my father's house."

The Lord said, "Surely, I will be with you."

Gideon said, "If I have found grace in your sight, show me a sign. I will bring my present before you." Gideon got a kid and unleavened cakes of flour. He cooked them.

The angel of the Lord said, "Place the cakes and the meat on the rock and pour out the broth." Gideon did. Then  the angel of the  Lord put the end of his staff touching the meat and the caked and they were consumed. Then he departed.

Then Gideon built an altar to the Lord, and called it Jeborah-Sabalom. Then the Lord said to him, "Throw down the altar of Baal that your father built and cut the tree near it. Build an altar on this rock and offer the burnt sacrifice on it with your father's bullock and wood of the tree you cut." Gideon did.

When the people saw it and found out that Gideon did it, they went to Joas, Gideon's father, and said, Bring out your son that he may die because he cast down the altar of Baal."

Joas said to them, "Let Baal plead against him because he has thrown down his altar."

But the spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon and he blew a trumpet. The people of Abriezer, Manasen, Aser, Zabulon, and Nephtali gathered around him. Gideon said, "Lord, if you will have Israel by my hand, behold, I will put fleece of wool on the earth, and if the dew be upon the fleece onl and be dry upon all the earth around, I will know that you will save Israel." It was so the next morning.

Gideon said again, "Do not be angry with me, Lord. Let me prove, I pray you once more with the fleece. Let it now be dry only upon the fleece and all around let there be dew." God did so that night.

The Jerobaal who was Gideon and his people rose up early to fight the Medianites. The Lord said to him, "Your people rose up early to fight the Medianites. The Lord said to him, "Your people are too man. Therefore, tell them, "Whoever is afraid, let him return home." He did. Of the 22,00 people only ten thousand remained.

The Lord said again, "The people are still too many. Bring them to the river. I will test them for you. Every one that lappeth shall be with you; those that bow down on their knees to drink shall not go." Gideon brought them to the river. Three hundred lapped: the rest knelt down.

The Lord said, "By the three hundred, I will save you and Israel. That night the Lord told Gideon to go with his servant to the enemy camp. When they did, they heard a man telling his dream to others thus: "I dreamed of a cake of barley falling into the army of Median. It smote the tenth putting it down."

His companion answered, "This means that Gideon will beat Median and its army."

So Gideon retuned to his army and said.  "Arise for the Lord has deliveredMedian and all its army." He divided his army into three and put a trumpet in every man's hand with empty pitchers and lamps in them on the other. Then he said, "Do what I do."

Gideon and the one hundred men with him came outside the camp. They blew their trumpets and broke their pitchers. The two other companies did the same.

The enemy ran, cried, and fled. The men of Israel ran after the Medianites. They took two of the three princes, Orb and Zeb and slew them.

Thus, Gideon saved Israel.

Comments