Skip to main content

Jonah in the Belly of the Fish (Jon 1-3)


One day God called Jonah and said,"Arise, go to Nineve and preach init, for the people there are wicked." Jonas was afraid. So he rose to flee to Tarsus  where he took a boat.

But the Lord sent a great wind into the sea and the boat was about to sink. The sailors threw away nearly all the cargo; still, the boat continued to sink, they looked for Jonah who was sleeping down in the boat. "Rise, pray to your God that we may be saved," they said. They also asked, "Why are you running away from the Lord?"

Jonah said, "Cast me into the sea and the sea shall be calm."So they cast him into the sea and the wind ceased from raging.

Now the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. He was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. He said, "I cried out of the belly of hell and the Lord heard me. I am cast out of the sight of the Lord but yet I shall see Your temple again. May my prayers come to You and to Your temple."

The Lord spoke to the fish and it vomitted out Jonah on the land.

Comments