Skip to main content

Ruth (Ruth 1-4)


When there was famine in Israel, Elimelech, his wife Noemi and two sons went to Moab. Sometime after, Elimelech died, and Noemi was left with two sons who married Moabite women, one named Orpha; he other Ruth.


After ten years, both sons died. Noemi then decided to return to Israel. She said to her daughters-in-law, "Go back to your mother's house! May the Lord be kind to you." They wept.

Orpha kissed her goodbye, but Ruth stayed with her.

Ruth said, "Do not ask me to leave you! for I go wherever you go. Your people shall be my people and your God shall be my God." So Noemi and Ruth returned to Bethlehem.

On their arrival it was harvest time. Noemi had a rich relative named Booz. Ruth said to Noemi, "Let me go and glean ears of grain in the field."

Noemi said, "Go my daughter." And she went. It happened that she gleaned in the field belonging to Booz who came from Bethlehem. "The Lord be with you," Booz said tothe harvesters.

They replied, "The Lord be with you!"

Booz asked the overseer, "Who is this girl?"

He answered, "She is a Moabite who returned with Noemi. She ask to glean in the field."

Booz said to Ruth, "Do not glean in any one else' field. Stay with my women servants."

She said, "Why should I, a foreigner, be favored with your notice?"

Booz answered, "You left your parents to go with your mother-in-law. May the Lord reward you."

She said, "May I prove worthy of your kindness, my lord."

At mealtime Booz said to her, "Come here and eat some food." She did. Then she gleaned again till evening and then went home.

"Where did you glean today?" Noemi said.

She answered, "The man whose place I worked today is named Booz."

"May he be blessed," said Noemi. "He is our relative."

After the harvest Noemi said,  "Is not Booz our next of kin? This evening Booz will be winnowingbarley at the threshing floor. So bathe yourself; put on your best clothes and go to the threshing floor. When he lies down take note of the place where he does so. Then go, uncover a place at his foot, and lie down."

Ruth said, "I will do whatever you advice." And she did.

In the middle of the night Booz was surprised to find a woman at his feet. He asked, "Who are you?"

"I am your servant, Ruth. Spread the cover of your cloak over me for you are my next kin."

He said, "May the Lord bless you." He gave her six measures of barley to bring home.

The next day Booz married Ruth. She had a son. Obed, the father of David.


Comments