Skip to main content

The Call of Samuel (1 Kgs. 3)


Hannah prayed to God for a son. If her prayer would be answered, the son would be given to the service of the Lord. At last she bore Samuel and she gave him to the priest to serve the Lord. The child, Samuel, ministered to the Lord before Eli, the priest.

When Eli became very old and blind,  the Lord called Samuel and he answered, "Here, I am." Then he ran to Eli who he thought called him.

Eli said, "I did not call you. Go to sleep." Samuel went back to bed.

The Lord called again, "Samuel!" Samuel rose and went to Eli. But Eli did not call him. So he went back to bed.

The Lord called a third time. Samuel rose and went to Eli and said, "Here I am, for you did call me." Eli knew then that the Lord had called the child. Therefore, he said, "Go, lie down. If He call you, you shall say, 'Speak, Lord, for your servant hears.'" So Samuel went back to bed.

Then the Lord came and stood and called as at other times, "Samuel, Samuel."

Samuel answered, "Speak, for your servant hears."

The Lord said, "Behold, I will do a thing in Israel at which everyone that hears it shall marvel. On the day I will perform all things which I have spoken to Eli about his house. Therefore, I have sworn that the iniquity shal not be purged with sacrifice or offering forever."

Samuel lay until morning and opened the doors of the house of the Lord. Then Eli called Samuel and said, "Samuel, my son. What did the Lord say to you? I pray you, do not hide it from me." Samuel told him everything and hid nothing from him. Eli said, "It is the Lord. Let Him do what seems good to Him".

Samuel grew and the Lord was with him. All Israel from Dan to Beer-sheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the Lord.

Comments