Skip to main content

Jacob in Egypt (Gen. 46: 1-7, 26-34; 47: 1-12)

     Before leaving for Egypt, Jacob offered sacrifices to God.  One night, God appeared to him and said: “Jacob, Jacob!”

     And Jacob answered: “Here I am!”

     God said to him: “I am the most mighty God of your father.  Fear not, go down into Egypt, for I will make a great nation of you there.  I shall accompany you and I shall bring you back here again.”

     And Jacob rose up from the place where he had offered the sacrifices to Almighty God and went to Egypt with his sons, wives, grandsons and all his belongings.  He was riding on the wagon which the King of Egypt had sent to fetch him.  All the persons of the house of Jacob entered into Egypt.  All in all they were seventy.

     Juda, one of the sons of Jacob, went ahead to tell Joseph that his father was coming.  When Joseph heard this news, he started out to meet his father.  On seeing him, Joseph put his arms around his father and wept.  Then Jacob said to Joseph: “Now I shall die with joy for I have seen your face.”

     And Joseph said to his brothers: “I will go up and tell the king that all my brothers and my father’s household, who were before in the land of Chanaan, are coming to me in the land of Egypt.  I shall tell the king that you are shepherds, and that your occupation is to feed cattle.  I shall inform the king that your flocks came with you from Chanaan to Egypt.”

     Then Joseph went to see the king of Egypt and spoke in favor of his father and his brothers.  The king loved Joseph very much and gave the land of Goshen for the family of Jacob.

     After this, Joseph brought in Jacob to present him to the king.

     The King asked Jacob: “How old are you?”

     Jacob answered: “The days of my pilgrimage are one hundred and thirty years, few and evil, and they have not come up to the days of the pilgrimage of my fathers.”

     And blessing the king, he went out.

     The king of Egypt told Joseph to help Jacob and his sons.


     For many years, the children of Jacob were happy in the land of Egypt.

Comments